This introductory scenario covers the battles of Suomussalmi and Raate road, in central Finland during late 1939. Can the Finns repeat their historical victories? Or will the Russians avoid defeat and complete their advance to Oulu?
The Soviet 9th Army is attacking the objective of Oulu, with the aim of cutting Finland in half at the narrowest point. The hastily deployed Finns under Colonel Siilasvuo are outnumbered five to one, but mount a series of bold attacks on skis around the Soviet flanks.
The battles of Suomussalmi and Raate road would be the most complete Finnish victories of the war, with the world learning the meaning of the word ‘Motti’.
The game’s event cards allow full replay ability thanks to the numerous various situations that they create on the diplomatic, military, political or economical fields.
DURATION & FORCES
Longest Duration: 1h00
Favored Side: None
Most Difficult Side to Play: Finns
The Finnish player controls the Finnish (light blue) and Foreign Volunteers (darker blue) .
The Soviet player controls the Red Army, Red Air Force and NKVD (dark red) units.
The scenario lasts 4 turns (between the first week of December 1939 and the last week of December 1939, each turnv being the equivalent of one week.
The Finnish player always plays first, followed by the Soviet player.
The whole map represents the whole of southern and central Finland, as well as the neighboring seas and far-off regions in the north.
In this scenario, only the regions located in North Finland and corresponding Soviet regions are playable.
– Disabled in this scenario. The side with most VP at the end of the scenario wins the game.
– The Finnish player earns 2 VP if he controls the Salla region at the end of the game.
– The Finnish player earns 1 VP for each other region located on the Soviet border that he owns at the end of the game.
– The Finnish player earns 2 VP for each unit of the Soviet 9th Army that he eliminates completely in the game.
– The Soviet player earns 15 VP for the first time he controls: Oulu.
– The Soviet player earns 5 VP for the first time he controls: Salla / Suomussalmi.
– The Soviet player earns 2 VP for the first time he controls: Kuusamo.
– The Soviet player earns 1 VP for each units of the 9th Army still in play at the end of the game.
– The Soviet player loses 1 VP each for every unit of the 9th Army that is eliminated.
– For the Soviets. – For the Finns.
Turn 1 : December 1st -7th : 4th Rifle Div. Turn 1 : December 1st -7th : 6th Ind. Bn.
Turn 2 : December 8th -15th : 36th Tank Bde.
Turn 3 : December 16th-22nd : SB2 Bomber
Turn 4 : December 23rd -31st : None
All replacements and constructions are handled by cards. Soviets will receive 1 replacement for the first 2 turns, then 2 for the last two, and the Finns will receive 1 every turn. Both sides will also get those provided in addition by events and cards.
There are two cards drawn each turn in this game, and players may keep up to 10 of them in hands.
Disabled in this scenario
– For the Finnish units: Oulu.
– For the Soviet units: Belomorsk.
FOREIGN BOXES: SWEDEN & NORWAY
No one can enter them in this scenario
Only allowed to Finnish small units of Regiment or Brigade side, in most terrains.
Those Finnish combat units can move and attack while hidden, and they don’t need any supply. Their presence allows for a special Ambush round in battle where only Ski troops can fight. Three of the Finnish leaders have the same abilities (they bear the Sissi emblem).
FOG OF WAR
Only the Finnish units benefit from a partial fog of war, i.e. the Soviet player cannot see what their stack could countain (only a flag is displayed on those).
No Finnish units may ever enter any of the Soviet regions with railroad located on the eastern side of the mapboard, nor the Murmansk offmap box.
FINNISH DIFFICULT TERRAINS
The Forests & Lakes, Marshes and Deep-Forest terrains do not allow cavalry or heavy units superiorities, and provide combat bonus to defenders. No supply either in the Deep Forest terrains.
For the PDF version, use the links below :